Monday, August 2, 2010

Southern Comfort

I made a batch of cheese straws earlier this week. Since I traditionally make them at Christmas, the smell of them baking got me a bit confused and feeling like I should deck the halls. (Stepping outside into the mid-90's heat straightened out the seasons for me.)

For anyone unfortunate enough to be unfamiliar with cheese straws, here is the plate of finished ones:



Cheese straws are delicate, crispy crackers made from sharp cheddar cheese, real butter, flour and some red pepper for a little kick. They are usually served at Southern teas, wedding and baby showers, or with late-afternoon cocktails. They are wonderful with wine and especially good with eggnog. Their cheese taste balances the sweetness. But, these out-of-season cheese straws were baked for therapeutic reasons.

My Southern roots run deep and I was raised right. My mama was from Macon, Georgia and my daddy is from rural southern Alabama. And, I was raised in Tallahassee which really ought to just go ahead and admit that it should be part of Georgia and not the capitol of Florida.

When friends or neighbors (or neighbors of friends) are sick in body or spirit, true Southerners take them some food. Different areas have different customary dishes, but in Macon, the food was frequently boiled custard or homemade pimento cheese. But, I don't think that cheese straws are ever taken to the sick.

However, a good friend of mine has been battling Hodgkin's lymphoma and he specifically requested cheese straws to give him strength for his last round of chemo. So, of course, I made them. Fortunately, my friend's cancer is in remission, but as my husband said, "On the whole, I think I'd rather skip the cheese straws."

Here is the cheese straw recipe I use, which comes from The Southern Living Cookbook (not to be confused with any of the Southern Living Annual Recipes books. This is the ultimate cookbook.)

Cheese Straws
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (I use extra-sharp yellow Cheddar)
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened (I included "margarine" since it is in the recipe but don't use it. Use butter.)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper (I use a heaping 1/4 teaspoon)

Combine cheese and butter in large mixing bowl; beat well at medium speed of an electric mixer. Combine remaining ingredients, stirring well. Gradually add flour mixture to cheese mixture, mixing until dough is no longer crumbly. Shape mixture into a ball. (Note: I use my food processor for this part. I use the grater blade to shred the cheese and then change to the main blade. I mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, then put them, the butter and the shredded cheese into the food processor. I pulse it just until everything gets crumbly and starts to form a ball. Then, I take it out and finish pressing the dough into a ball. Then, I finish the way the recipe states.)

Use a cookie press (cookie gun) to shape dough into straws, following manufacturer's instructions. (Some people use a star disk but I like the one that is flat on one side and ridged on the other. I think it makes them crisper and more delicate.) Squeeze the dough into long strips on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes until lightly browned. (Do not let them get very brown; really, they should just cook until the tops have gotten dry.) Cut into 2" - 3" pieces while warm. Store in airtight containers, placing wax paper between the layers.

It looks like a lot of trouble, and it sort of is (although less so with the food processor) but aren't your friends worth it?

2 comments:

  1. Oh these have GOT to be on the menu at Rocky Creek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you want me to provide them or teach you to make them? They would be a rare and wonderful delicacy to offer guests at happy hour.

    ReplyDelete