Saturday, June 19, 2010

Behind the Red Door, Part II

After a day and night, the door was ready to be rehung. And it was beautiful! It was truly deliciously red. But, it made the old brass hardware and lights look dull and shabby. So, I went to Home Depot (Trip 2) and bought a new door handle, kickplate and light fixtures. My husband (lawyer-turned-handyman) installed the shiny, new door handle and kickplate.


And it was even more beautiful! No lights yet, but I could see it in my mind. But, now the flowers in the pots out front didn't match. They needed to be red - and pink - and bright! So, I went to Home Depot (Trip 3) and bought gerbera daisies. And, it was even more beautiful!

My husband (lawyer-turned-electrician) tackled the light fixtures. They didn't fit the existing mounting, of course. So, he went to Home Depot (Trip 4). And back to Home Depot and back to Home Depot and back to Home Depot....and finally the lights were up. And, it was even more beautiful!



The white trim around the door now looked shabby and I said I would paint that. So, I went to Home Depot (Trip 326) and bought the white paint. My BFF the orbital sander and I cleaned up the old paint, I filled some spots with wood putty and put on a fresh coat of white paint.

Then, I turned around, and saw the not-white-enough-looking columns. I had a brush full of white paint in my hand and you can guess the rest. (By the way, "wood filler" is a lie. It won't fill in spots where the wood rotted away and really needs replacing. But, you can slather it on like cake icing and paint it anyway.)

And, it is the most beautiful ever! I love, love, love it.

Now, we need to talk about the inside paint....

1 comment:

  1. It all starts with a single step...or in your case a Red Door!

    ReplyDelete